I’m used to running into athletes I’ve covered before when I cover the annual To Bone and Back 40-mile relay and ultra marathon. Not until Saturday, however, did I see a former athlete I’ve covered get their second win at the race.
Kyle Baldwin experienced some deja vu Saturday in a good way.
After making a left turn onto Cortez Avenue, he got sight of a considerable audience waiting for him at the finish line of the 26th annual To Bone and Back 40-mile ultra marathon and relay. Among them was his dad, whom he spotted immediately.
Wearing headphones and bright blue shorts, Baldwin broke into a sprint and thrust his fists in the air upon crossing the finish line. The 2013 Bonneville High School graduate completed Saturday’s race in 5 hours, 44 minutes, 30 seconds to earn his second To Bone and Back solo division title in four years.
While he said he had hoped to beat his 5:37 from the 2012 race, which he ran for his senior project on how to conquer asthma through exercise, completing the race again was an accomplishment by itself. He returned in August from serving a two-year LDS mission and got back into shape after not being able to run while gone.
“After I ran it three years ago, I had a goal that I wanted to run it again,” he said. “It took a lot of hard work.”
Getting the solo division win in his first attempt opened a door for Baldwin. A track athlete since middle school, he had never completed anything as long as To Bone and Back and he decided to switch from soccer to cross-country in the fall. He turned heads across eastern Idaho in the process, becoming Bonneville’s lead boy and winning the individual 4A District 5-6 title to qualify for state and give the Bees their first boys district cross-country title.
Now 21, he has registered to compete in the Ririe Days half marathon July 16 and is working to save money for college. While he said he never imagined his change in passions, he has new goals to pursue.
“I just remember in elementary school running the mile and hating it,” he said with a laugh. “Now I love running longer distances. I want to take it even farther and run the Boston Marathon and run in college.”
The second overall finisher in the solo division was Melissa Soper of Syracuse, Utah, in 6:10:54. A competitive runner of eight years, Soper has devoted the last four years to ultra running. It was the first To Bone and Back experience for Soper.
“The uphills and downhills, it was challenging for sure,” Soper said.
Among the first to finish Saturday were two-person relay division champions Kimball and Hunter Galbraith of Sugar City, who ran 4:56:59. Like Soper, Saturday’s To Bone and Back was a first for the father-son duo.
Hunter, a cross-country runner and incoming Sugar-Salem High School senior, said Sugar-Salem head track and cross-country coach Brett Hill, who is in his first year as To Bone and Back co-race director, persuaded him to run Saturday. He and Kimball each ran four five-mile legs Saturday.
“My legs started slipping during the last mile or two,” Hunter said.
“He’s faster than me, though,” Kimball added.
Although Saturday was the first race for Kimball in years, he and Hunter run together regularly. Those off-road runs ultimately inspired their team name, “Lost Again But Still Runnin.’”
“We do some running up in the mountains just to explore,” Kimball said. “If we get lost, we figure eventually we’ll get out and find civilization again.”
After years of being organized by Stan Griffiths of Summit Orthopaedics, Hill and his son-in-law Janson Jardine took over as race directors this summer. Also owner of Vector Timing, which times To Bone and Back and several races throughout Idaho, Hill said things went smoothly Saturday thanks to much help.
“Half the town of Sugar is here,” Hill said. “Every aid station was manned by a parent. Without all these volunteers, it’s impossible to run an event like this.”
2016 To Bone and Back Results (complete)
1. Marie Fager 41:06; 2. Hayley Earley 41:54; 3. Heather Silverman 41:56; 4. Holly Gyles 42:46; 5. Lauren Gyles 46:13; 6. Madi Mary 46:13; 7. Janae Cartney 48:28
40 mile solo
1. Kyle Baldwin 5:44:30; 2. Melissa Soper 6:10:54; 3. Glen Carpenter 6:25:20; 4. Kirk Wilbur 6:29:12; 5. Kolton Williams 6:31:00; 6. Dave Smith 8:30:00; 7. Marshall Brown 10:45.37
1. Lost Again But Still Runnin (Kimball Galbraith, Hunter Galbraith) 4:56:59; 2. Apple Athletic Club (Mike Taylor, Takara Taylor) 5:04:10; 3. Sole Mates (Saige Ballock-Dixon, Corey Dixon) 5:29:12; 4. My Addiction (Kody Howells, Mike Messick) 7:10:57
1. Helaman’s Warriors (Will Ricks, Samuel Clarke, Dale Lounsbury, Jace Ritchie) 4:33:50; 2. Good Things Come in 3s (Gray Augustus, Kari Augustus, Donnie McKay) 5:17.37; 3. 3 guys and a gal (John Hart, Denae Hart, Jordan Jardine, Spencer Jardine) 5:24:45; 4. Journeys Autism Awareness (Andy Crossman, Kyler Miskin, Josh Alexander, Nate Reese, Trevor Dalton) 5:38:15; 5. Christ Community Church 2 (Daniel Mueller, James Hallmark, Sarah Mueller, Zak Warren) 5:53:11; 6. Four bringing the bone back (Sheandi Richins, Nicole Storer, Brandon Storer, Eric Day) 5:54:05; 7. Cook sisters (Melanie Vasquez, Krystal Mundt, Brittany Nykamp, Kimberlee Cook) 6:07:11; 8. Suck it Up Buttercup (Amanda Gillish, Jordyn Marcroft, Josh Gillish, Cheryl Marcroft) 6:28:04; 9. Los Tortugas (Chelsie Farnsworth, Jamee Tibbitts Melonie Judy, Oliver Lewis) 6:43:37
1. Knight Time (Madsen Rhinehart, Savannah Cook, Alise Mecham, Teagan Lowry, Garret Wetsel, Shane Jensen, Zach Taylor, Joseph Spencer) 5:01:11; 2. Christ Community Church 1 (Peter Shaw, Daniel Stewart, Rebecca Corgatelli, Isaac Corgatelli, Brandy Corgatelli, Jordan Corgatelli, Abbey Corgatelli, Lori Corgatelli) 5:40.28; 3. Run for Fun (Rebecca Webb, Sterling Barnes, Heidi Richards, Malinda Barnes, Heather Davies, Rachelle Jones, Jason Jones, Ryan Meikle) 5:41.48; 4. Get ‘er Run (Zachary Zorn, Chrissy Stevens, Pamela Zorn, David Zorn, Greg Schenk, Adam Sego) 5:42:48; 5. Compass Academy (Toni Jarolimek Mann, Rex Taylor, Shannon Taylor, Mike Nichols, Matthew Bertasso, Logan Waetje, Arik Durfee) 5:46:26; 6. Koko Nuts (Brian Larsen, Chris Sorensen, Meieli Allen, Aaron Taylor, James Allen, Todd Perkes, Josh Brevell, Kaden Taylor) 5:57:02; 7. The Bone Nerds (Peter Ritchie, Joshua Ritchie, Dylan Heaps, Devin Dalling, Dillon Andrus, Andrea Harvey, Samuel Ritchie) 6:02.07; 8. Christ Community Church 1 (Steve Bell, Michael Sitton, Kim Bautista, Sarah Warren, Elizabeth Bentley, Brooke Fleming, Christopher Rose, Alana Wells) 6:05:28; 9. Diamond K Runners (Kolten Williams, Katie Williams, Kaleb Williams, Diane Dexter, Emily McDonald, Daniele McInnis, Todd Robertson, Alesha Smuin) 6:14:09; 10. 8 Shadows Running (Lucas Handy, Tiffany Synelnikov, Tanner Pinnock, Sierra Crystal, Chloe Reis, AJ Baxter, Tina Reis, Clara Toronto) 6:18:50; 11. Hop Sip and Run (Janna Van Witbeck, Kristie Karroum, Tiffany Williams, Robin Fink, Brian Johnson, Airica Staley, Shrikant Nagpure, Amber Haynes) 6:25:58; 12. We got the runs (Chelsee Brown, Billy Brown, Amy Henricksen, Steven Cziep, Landon Taylor, Tessa Taylor, Kelsi Sanderson, Tai Bailey) 6:32:29; 13. Funny Bones (Robert Howe, Jill Payne, Ryon Lockhart, Dan Garren, Ryan Walker, Bonnie Horsburgh, Nathan Stohosky) 6:34:10; 14. What the Hill? (Marlese Seaver, Nathan Seaver, Kim Hawkes, Hayley Gordon, Cristina Pebley, LaRee Hope Hawkes, Joshua Westover, Natalie Bogren) 6:35:16; 15. Chafing the Dream (Stephanie Lords, Zach Lords, Mallory Haskett, Alicia Hemming, Merrill Hemming, Shanna Munns, Steve Jenkins, Jennie Jenkins) 6:49:16; 16. Blacktop Pirates (Nicole Boyle, Brooke Peterson Alderks, Jessica Smedley, Shayla Hayes, Jeffrey Hayes, Shannon Littlewood, Jeff Holland, Scott Holland) 6:51:09; 17. Suns Out Runs Out (Brittney Bailey, Michael Brittney, Cory Bailey, Keslin King, Mandi Breshears, Stephanie Coleman, Eric Searle) 6:55:01; 18. Fun First (Maedene Jardine, Jeff Shaum, Jenifer VanMeeteren-Shaum, Wendy Danielson, Kristin Rader, Amanda Williams, Vince Nagashima, Katie Salsbury) 7:10:24; 19. Bone Heads (Kim Brighton, Cameron Bryan, Lynzee Mathews, Lindsey Soucie, Brittni Park, Blake Stoddard, Annette Soucie, Lacie Christensen) 7:16:50
1. Bean Family (Brent Bean, Gaylynn Bean, Jaren Bean, Amree Bean, Devin Bean, Brennan Bean, Jessica Bean, Roger Bean) 6:05:26; 2. Costa Vida-Nacho Average Team (Randy Robinson, Shannon Robinson, Shawn Sharp, Tracy Sharp, Blake Robinson, Samantha Robinson, Darrin Robinson, Cody Robinson) 6:43:26; 3. Mighty Mighty Mosses (Derek Moss, Shelby Moss, Kara Moss, Brooke Peterson, Leigh Andreason, Christi Kotter, Jarrad Moss, Brett Darrington) 6:56:39; 4. Bone Janglers (Elizabeth Scoresby, Justin Scoresby, John Eiman, Payden Knudsen, Lillian Knudsen) 7:06:07; 5. Lurch 16 (Steven Loertscher, Wayne Loertscher, Marinda Loertscher, Jared Loertscher, Janie Loertscher, Ben Loertscher, Mary Loertscher, Kayla Loertscher) 7:07:57
8-person high school boys
1. Buffalo Wild Wing Bones (Taylor Hill, Brennan Anderson, Cameron Garner, Wyatt Dalling, Benjamin Moser) 4:23:59; 2. Firth Cougars (Isaac Gardner, Caleb Edwards, Garrett Barker, Ethan Groesbeck, Luke Groesbeck, Preston Watt, Zeb Johnson) 5:37:35
8-person high school coed
1. Marky-Mark and the Funky Bunch (Justin Shadley, Katelyn Shadley, Ben Pinkham, Isabelle Clausen, Zachary Erikson, Matthew Gyles, Braeden Dyer, Jace Hymas) 4:39:48; 2. Star Wars (Dallin Hart, Megan Reed, Emma Wilson, Elizabeth Harrison, Adam Christensen, Eric Johnson, Macy Olson, Breanne Herrmann) 5:02:38; 3. Despicable Us (Katie Meldrum, Jared Meldrum, Zoe Rebol, Emily Stuart, Trey Corrigan, Hunter Young, Sariah Harrison, Jackson Hathaway) 5:13:15
8-person high school girls
1. Sugar Darlings (Shaylee Hill, Jenna Johansen, Kaiah Anderson, Harmonee Nelson, Brooklyn Moser, Suzi Galbraith, Ashley Willis, Marley Harrison) 5:29:37
1. Sock and Sole (Ron Albaugh, Kevin Dupree, Steven Rowley, Jed Clark, Michael Albaugh, Michael Seubert, Luke Kennelly, Seth Kennelly)
1. Agony of DeFeet (Allie Severe, Addison Newman, Kaylee Newman, Alexa Anhder, Gabriela Tafoya, Andra Bitter, Michelle Spencer, Linda Smuin) 5:30:39; 2. Chicks with Kicks (Heidi Dalling, Lindsay Neeley, Anne Parker, Kristin Taylor, Stephanie Fleming, Cadence Gehmlich, Yvonne Anderson, Whitney Taylor) 5:41:38; 3. The Craigettes (Ashlyn Dyer, Megan Mary, Lyndie Lewis, McKenna Lewis, Emily Corgatelli, Heidi Hatch, Lizbeth Fonsaca, Ashlyn LaOrange) 6:03:06; 4. Krazy Legs (Janice Wilcox, Melanie Vaughan, Ashley Palmer, Ann Peterson, Wendy Olsen, Susan Overton, Heather Rowe, Allie Gillespie) 6:26:16; 5. Wild Woodville Women (Sandi Mueller, Lindsey Nulph, Traci Huntsman, Crystal Taylor, Chelsi Bennett, Brooke Russell, Tiffany Pulsipher, Hayley Remington) 6:32:22; 6. Onesource (Laura Scott, Tami Aeschbacher, Maegan Cannon, Alisha Cornelius, Marde Rutt, Erica Polson, Kelsie Call, Marcy Harris) 6:34:36; 7. Tutu Fast (Heather Scott, Carmen Radford, Sheandi Richins, Raquel Mora, Marcy Sprague, Suzy Nelsen, Angie Barber, Nicole Carlson) 6:38:14; 8. Solemates (Kate Jensen, Alicia Tavera, Joy Rockwood, Jodi Munns Reimer, Jordan Jensen, Monica Nevarez, Chelsie Hansen, Crickett Griffin) 6:52:51; 9. Sarcastic Sole Sisters (Heather Jordan Crossley, Liz Orr, Amanda Clark, Mandie Dupree, Summer Chandler Robles, Yvonne Hawkins, Tara Lehmann, Elizabeth Rowley) 6:58:52; 10. Thor Legs (Aarin Smith, Emma Giles, Karen Jenkins, Nicole Jenkins, Becky Stucki, Cecilia Maughan, Andrea Gibson, Elizabeth Hill) 7:37:39